Substance Use Treatment
Treatment Philosophy and Goals
Comprehensive Mental Health Services, Inc. understands that alcohol, drug and gambling addictions are illnesses affecting not only the addicted person, but also those in a relationship with him or her.
These illnesses can be treated effectively. Treatable chemical addiction means helping all involved learn new behavior patterns, new attitudes and new ways of communication. The addicted person is directed to learn to accept responsibility for behaviors and attitudes which affect abstinence and ongoing recovery.
For over 30 years, our addiction recovery clients have received treatment which best meets their individual clinical needs. We offer culturally specific services including case management, education, prevention, intervention, day treatment, housing and job resources, intensive outpatient programs, 2 residential programs for men (Gateway) as well as a residential program for women and their children (Lotus House). CMHS also has an adolescent program specifically tailored to the needs of adolescents dealing with substance abuse issues.
Residential Treatment Services are available for men at the Gateway and Lotus House facilities. The length of the program is dependent on the individual’s needs.
Outpatient Services are available at the Monarch and George W. Norman Recovery Center locations. Outpatient services also include case management, individual and family therapy, groups education and group therapy.
“Addiction should be understood as a chronic recurring illness that requires treatment.”
– Alan Leshner, MD, former head of the National Institute on Drug Abuse at NIH, in Addiction is a Brain Disease.
Education and Prevention Services
This unique program allows professional counselors to work in schools and teach drug resistance and prevention to middle and senior high school students. This prevention program is funded by COMBAT, the Jackson County Anti-Drug Sales Tax.
Public Education provides community education and workshops to residents of the community with the goal of preventing alcohol and drug addiction.
Intervention and Assessment
- The CMHS addiction programs provide multi-level treatment services based on the individual’s need which may include residential services, day treatment, case management, individual and family therapy, group education and group therapy. Our services are provided to clients as advocacy linkage, support and education to help individuals and their families live successful drug-free lives.
- Residential Treatment Services are available for men at the Gateway and Renaissance West facility. The length of the program is dependent on the individual’s needs.
- Residential Treatment Services are available for pregnant and post-partum women and their children. Residential stays are dependent on the individual’s needs.
- Outpatient Services are available at the Renaissance West and Parkway locations. Outpatient services also include case management, individual and family therapy, groups education and group therapy.
- CMHS has an outpatient adolescent substance abuse program at our Parkway location that offers multi-level services based on the individual’s needs.
- Continuing Care is a key part of establishing a recovery program for life. Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, Al-Anon, Gamblers Anonymous or other aftercare support programs are essential parts of continuing recovery.
For more information about services, please call CMHS at 816-254-3652. For residential treatment, ask for Addiction Recovery. For outpatient services, ask for Intake.
Parkway Location: 816-836-6301
George W. Norman Recovery Location: 816-836-6301
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5:00 pm