What is a Healthcare Home?
The Healthcare Home is an alternative approach to the delivery of health care services that promises better patient experience and better results than traditional care. The Healthcare Home has many characteristics of the Patient-Centered Medical Home but is customized to meet the specific needs of low-income patients with chronic medical conditions.
What are the components of Healthcare Home?
- Comprehensive care management
- Care coordination and health promotion
- Comprehensive transitional care including follow-up from inpatient and other settings
- Patient and family support
- Referral to community and support services
- Use of health information technology to link services
What are the Goals of Healthcare Home Initiative?
- Implement and evaluate the Health Home model as a way to achieve accessible, high quality primary health care and behavioral health care
- Demonstrate cost-effectiveness in order to justify and support the sustainability and spread of the model
- Support primary care and behavioral care practice sites by increasing available resources and improving care coordination to result in improved quality of clinician work life and patient outcomes
Who is eligible to be served in by a Healthcare Home?
- Persons covered by Mo HealthNet including those covered through Mo HealthNet’s Managed Care Plans
- Persons with 2 chronic conditions
- Persons with 1 chronic condition who are also at risk for a 2nd chronic condition
- Persons who have 1 serious and persistent mental health condition
What Chronic Conditions Qualify?
- Serious Mental Health Condition
- Substance Abuse Disorders
- Cardiovascular Disease – including hypertension
- Overweight (BMI>25)
- Developmental Disabilities
- *Smoking or Diabetes
*qualifies a person for being at risk of having a second chronic condition
How CMHS can help you:
- CMHS provides a Nurse Care Manager that will help you identify and achieve your healthcare and wellness goals.
- Assist in helping you manage your health conditions and coordinate your healthcare.
- Help you access a family doctor and other medical care providers.
- Provides you with access to health education opportunities addressing smoking cessation, nutrition and physical health.